View Single Post
Old September 16, 2008, 06:25 PM   #3
KLRANGL

Hey, a fellow Virginian

Like you, im still waiting on my CCW, so I guess im not the best person to ask, but I like putting in my 2 cents...
I open carry when im out at night and plan on hitting some rougher parts of town. That usually tells people to find someone who will put up less of a fight... Ive had a few homeless people who started turning violent but changed their minds pretty quick when they saw what my right hand started reaching for...
From what I know of Virginian law, brandishing is holding a weapon in a threatening manner, which has sometimes been interpreted as putting your hand on your weapon (even without drawing) so you have to be careful. But I expect in a mugging where no weapon is drawn on you, a simple reaching for your weapon and getting it ready to be pulled would be ample to "diffuse" the situation. If it turns violent you'll at least be ready... Thats probably what I would have done in the above scenario, though not having been there I couldnt say for sure...
Most people say just to do what the mugger tells you to do, and sure most people get out of muggings just fine, but I hate putting my life on those "what ifs" (ie what if he actually shoots me).

Page generated in 0.03728 seconds with 8 queries