View Single Post
Old March 27, 2013, 12:28 AM   #19
JimmyR

RE: OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrothWA
Last Saturday evening was at walmart, selecting a check-out noticed that a group of camo-clad individuals...
What game is in season? Could these gentleman have been coming in from hunting? Your location would help us understand if wearing camo in the evening on a Saturday is normal (such as the rural Alabama I grew up in) or not (such as downtown Louisville, KY)

Quote:
were in line and they were open carry sidearms.

What concern me was the "nonchalance / chavaler" attitude
When I OC, I don't wear a sandwich board. I don't scream out "I'm wearing a weapon!" any more than you do while CCing. Nonchalance is not a bad thing. I would also love to know what they were doing- aside from open carrying- that made them appear to be Cavalier-esque.

Quote:
and lack of visible restraints on the holsters being used. [Did not recognize the holster maker.]
Passive restraints on a holster can perform quite admirably. Again, not knowing the holster, I'm hearing accusations without a lot of substance.

Quote:
My concern was the lack of situation awareness and lack of good judgement and to maintaining any modicum of protecting the sidearms.

The camo and "bling" ornaments did not present a "charming" picture.
Just wondering, how did we get from "standing in line at Wal-Mart" to "lack of situation awareness" and "lack of good judgement"? When did you develop ESP? You stated you don't know how much retention the holster provided, because you don't know what holster they were using.

Quote:
PS; I was CPLing that night, too.
From what I am seeing, most of the concerns you voiced were allegations based on bias. You have thus far provided nothing against these gentlemen except that they open carried, (which I can only assume is legal, or I bet you would have made that your first point) and wore camo.

And.....?

Let them carry in whatever way is legal and fits their preferences and experience, and don't make assumptions about people because of their choice, which, from the tone and word choice of your post, appears to have already been done.

Full diclosure: I split my carry between OC/CC about 30/70, depending on my location, dress, and gun choice. I find OC to be much more comfortable, and makes my weapon easier to retrieve. I have also found that many folks ask questions, some commend my carrying, and others never even notice it.

Page generated in 0.03664 seconds with 8 queries