View Single Post
Old June 17, 2013, 08:51 AM   #25
Captchee

what i always found interesting was the numbers of different types . Not all are Ture Minie designs
Take the one that Hawg has und his “interesting one photo “
I could be wrong but from what I can see the center one showing the hole in the hollow base , maybe a Williams round that’s missing the small metal expander that would have fit into the hole .
A scraper bullet , which as I understand it , was also a Williams design , had a zinc base .
I have also seem Wilkins bullets , which have a solid base .
The other thing about expanders is that not only was wood used , but also clay plugs

The other thing that I once saw were round balls . The odd thing about these were that they had what appeared to be distortion around them . Best way I could describe it would be if a person took a 58 cal ball and tried to load it in a 54 cal rifle and then realized what had happened and tossed the ball .
I later found out what those marks were possibly from , was a type of wood sabot designed by Delvigne-Potshard . I found to be rather interesting when I found that those dated back to the early 1830’s and used by the French military during that time .

But anyway back on topic .
The thing again is that the rifles that shot these round , had very slow rates of twist and yet were very effective at long range with the conicals they were designed to shoot .

This is why when this subject comes up , I try and suggest to folks that its not really the rate of twist that can be causing accuracy issues as much as bullet design used in a slow twist barrel .
I think all to often anymore people just grab a conical off the shelf and then become un happy when it doesn’t perform as they expect. Inevitably the reasoning is that their twist rate is to slow to stabilize a conical . Frankly Imo that’s a half truth as history has shown it not to be the case . But we continue to perpetuate the idea vs. asking ourselves what is actually needed and what we have to do to produce the results we are after

Page generated in 0.02694 seconds with 8 queries