View Single Post
Old October 31, 2012, 05:17 AM   #20
Justice06RR

Quote:
If you are in school and haven't piles of spare cash, it would be wise to establish a budget, make a parts list within that budget, and stick with that list. There are roughly a million expensive do-dads you can buy and at some point during your parts shopping many of them will look like a fine idea.

You can save some money with blemished parts and periodic sales, but that takes a bit of patience.

If you are going to build just one, I would just get the upper receiver, barrel, gas tube, front sight base, maybe even the handguard already assembled as one unit. Without a vice, upper block, torque wrench and a specialty wrench or two, building your own upper looks more expensive than buying assembled. On the other hand, if you have a friend with the tools who will help, the experience should be worth the price of the parts.

My two cents. Good luck.
Good advice here ^ . I would heed the suggestion of other experienced AR guys.

Keep your build simple and stick to quality parts. There are so many brands and so many upgrades that can cloud your build. Don't go crazy with too many things all at once.

My advice:

- Get a good lower and upper receiver to start with. This is your basic starting point. Familiarize yourself with good manufacturers like BCM, Spikes, or PSA (depending on your budget)

- Get a good barrel that works for your purposes. A 16-inch carbine is standard, but a Midlength barrel is even better. Get Chrome-lined with M4 feed ramps.

- Choose your accesories wisely. There are countless manufactures out there that you really have unlimited choices. Pick a few and stick with them. MAGPUL is one of the best and most commonly known for reliability and quality. There are many others so pick wisely.

Page generated in 0.03215 seconds with 8 queries