View Single Post
Old August 19, 2010, 12:45 AM   #18
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick
The case capacity comment may be significant. We get about 3 grains capacity difference in .308 cases here. I wasn't aware the .303 had the same problem, but given that it's made all over the world, that wouldn't be surprising.
Although I don't own a .303, I deal with the brass for my .30-40 Krag (try getting some Krag brass... you'll understand why I form from .303).

While case wall thickness, like other cartridges, can be a cause of case capacity variance, it is usually the .303 case head that causes the big changes. The original design is extremely thin, and limits pressures greatly. Some companies have been producing a stronger case, though (with a thicker case head and web), that allows for higher pressures. Those stronger cases have a greatly diminished case capacity. I am sure pressures would be dramatically different, with identical powder charges, versus a thin-head case.

Even my .30-40 Krag loads are handicapped by the .303 brass I form from. I use Remington brass, mostly, which is a thin-head example. As such, I have to load short (.303 is shorter), with a long jump to the lands, and can't achieve the velocities the proper .30-40 brass is capable of.

Butta, Unclenick's advice still applies. It's definitely worth checking out. (Norma brass, by chance?)

Page generated in 0.03748 seconds with 8 queries