View Single Post
Old October 16, 2011, 02:53 PM   #8
Cuddy78

First, thanks everyone for the replies so far. Many of you mentioned using "quality" ammo. What brands should I be looking for and which should I avoid?

@ Tahanua001
Quote:
were you using factory rounds or were you shooting a bunch of random loose bullets that the guy at the gun show gave you in a ziplock bag?
I'm using a brand new box of Federal Ammunition 223 Rem 55gr FMJ I bought at WalMart. It's about the only 223 they had on the shelf at the time. The head stamp just says " F C 223 Rem."

@jdillon
Quote:
after running a few hundred rounds through it, it now cycles fine
Thanks for the info.

@UtopiaTexasG19
Quote:
field stripping the whole bolt carrier assembly and use your finger to wet down every part with gun oil
Thanks, I'll try that.

@Eghad
Quote:
After the round has been fired the bolt should automatically be locked to the rear by the bolt catch and the empty magazine
Thanks for the link. I plan on trying that when I get it out to the range next as part of my troubleshooting-shooting.

@madcratebuilder
Quote:
If someone changed the front sight and did not get the gas port aligned perfect you well have a under gassed rifle
I'm thinking that the most likely answer, but I 'm hoping just oil and break-in will do the trick first. I also doubt it's NIB, but it looked nice at the show. The front sight has two hex/allen screws at the bottom. It's also a "flattop" style removable front sight. Once I figure out how to post pictures on here I'll add a couple. How do I make sure the gas ports are aligned? Just take off the front assembly and eyeball it?

@Marquezj16
Quote:
I doubt that a good AR from a good manufacturer like Armalite would require a break in
I would have thought the same thing, but it might be this after market front sight not being aligned.

Again everyone, thanks for the insight. I'm going to try going over this from the easiest fix to the more involved. I'm confident with just a little love this rifle will be working great soon.

Page generated in 0.03543 seconds with 8 queries