View Single Post
Old July 31, 2009, 05:49 PM   #1
Farmland

Glock 27 - Perfect pocket gun?

I thought I would give an over view of the Glock 27. First I will say this is a gun that is not for everyone. It certainly is not a gun I would recommend for a first purchase if you plan on doing a lot of general shooting.

This gun was purchased as a replacement carry gun for my Sig Sauer 380 caliber pistol. I wanted a little more of a round and the size of the pistol offered a viable alternative.

The big difference is that this little gun does have one heck of a kick and is not one I would call pleasant to shot at all. However it wasn't bought as a shooter but I did take a beating running it through a 250 round get familiar time.

I have medium hands and I found this is not an easy gun to hold leaving my pinkie with nothing but air to grab. It certainly is a gun that will leave an impression on your wrist. It was the first gun that I actual ever shot where i said I had enough and dropped the magazine out and cleared a round of the chamber. Frankly I just didn't want to shot it again.

Now for the gun, what a great idea and nice package. If you have shot the large Glocks then moving into the compact 27 is easy. There are no snag points and even though it is small it has great sights for a so called pocket pistol.

The gun is accurate and has no problems giving great groups at the 25 yard marker. The sights are spaced about 5 1/2 inches apart that really help when a distance shot is required. The gun is just over an inch wide and has a foot print of 6 1/2 inches by a little over 4 inches. So it does truly fit in any pocket that I own.

In 250 rounds I didn't have one miss feed or any other problems. The only function I had to really work to improve was getting use to working the mag release. That really is part of the design and once you get the feel of the location etc it becomes easier.

I tired to get this gun while UNLOADED snagged on something but it just doesn't happen. Those are qualities I do like in a small defensive gun.

My only dislikes really have to deal with a gun in this caliber at this size. It can hurt and just isn't a pleasant gun to shoot. You must have a firm grip and get ready for that jarring kick that impacts the web of your hand and if your like me it beats the heck out of your wrist. However it delivers the punch you would expect from a 40 caliber and for a pocket gun that is pretty good.

I'm not looking forward though to my next practice session but i feel those seasons are important if you are going to carry any gun.

Who might not like this gun?

1.) Anyone with arthritis in their hands or wrist.
2.) Possibly most small women or men.
3.) Elderly due to the hard bone jarring recoil.
4.) Someone looking for a gun to serve both concealed carry and target.
5.) Someone with a large hand.
6.) Someone looking for a little lighter (weight) pocket gun.

Advantage

1.) Ease of operation.
2.) Compact size
3.) Caliber and magazine capacity (9)
4.) Sight picture
5.) Less chance of snagging on clothing

Warning if you decide to add the Pearce grip extensions they may fail the drop test. I added the one round capacity and the normal pinkie extensions. They both came off the magazine when dropped from the waste when loaded. The original magazines without the extension all passed the drop test.
Not a scientific test but one to consider in a defensive gun & magazine.

Page generated in 0.03924 seconds with 8 queries