View Single Post
Old December 3, 2012, 11:52 PM   #35
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmortimer
Just got this email response from someone I believe you know. The "quote" in question is so widely distributed on the web that I mistakenly attributed it to Col. Cooper but reading it carefully he would not state that he is quoting himself.

""That may be a paraphrase of Cooper by someone else with some added thoughts. Transcribed from a tape of the "Wendnesday Lecture" he stated...
First, Wednesday, at mid-day, is indeed when Jeff Cooper would deliver his lecture on the Color Code for a 250 (Handgun) class at Gunsite. Second, the quote you posted above is very much like the description of Condition Yellow I posted in post 3, quoting John Schaefer's website. Mr. Schaefer (Fr. Frog) is a reliable source for matters related to Jeff Cooper and Gunsite. In post 3, I also linked to John Schaefer's web-page on the Color Code.

At that link, Mr. Schaefer also quotes Jeff Cooper as follows (emphasis added):
Quote:
"Considering the principles of personal defense, we have long since come up with the Color Code. This has met with surprising success in debriefings throughout the world. The Color Code, as we preach it, runs white, yellow, orange, and red, and is a means of setting one’s mind into the proper condition when exercising lethal violence, and is not as easy as I had thought at first. There is a problem in that some students insist upon confusing the appropriate color with the amount of danger evident in the situation. As I have long taught, you are not in any color state because of the specific amount of danger you may be in, but rather in a mental state which enables you to take a difficult psychological step.

"Now, however, the government has gone into this and is handing out color codes nationwide based upon the apparent nature of a peril. It has always been difficult to teach the Gunsite Color Code, and now it is more so. We cannot say that the government’s ideas about colors are wrong, but that they are different from what we have long taught here...."
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper

Page generated in 0.02850 seconds with 8 queries