View Single Post
Old February 8, 2012, 11:41 PM   #12
David Wile

Hey Jeff,

Who trims all their pistol brass to the same length? I do; it makes for more consistent reloading, and facilitates seating and crimping in the same die and same step.

You ask, "How is the bullet going to be seated different length because the cases may be different lengths? Who doesn't understand the mechanics???" Well, you obviously do not understand the mechanics of the bullet seating/crimping operation. I will tell you why the bullet has to be seated to a different depth if the case lengths are different. It really is not a difficult concept, and it has nothing to do with any kind of a contest between us.

Here is how it works. If you are going to crimp the case mouth into the bullet's crimp groove, you have to have the bullet seated to the appropriate depth so the case mouth can then crimp into the groove. That should make sense to most folks. If you adjust your die to seat your bullet properly for one case and then try to seat a bullet in a case that is longer than the first case, the case mouth on the second case will not be in the correct place to crimp the mouth into the bullet crimp groove. Get it?

To get case mouths to crimp in bullet crimp grooves, the cases have to be the same length or the case mouth will get crimped either too short or too long for the crimp groove.

I don't object to how you load your ammo. Knock yourself out any way you choose. What concerns me is when you tell others something that is simply incorrect. If that makes me an "ornry" old man, I'll live with it somehow. Frankly, it beats the heck out of being wooden headed whether young or old.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

Page generated in 0.02598 seconds with 8 queries