View Single Post
Old February 3, 2008, 04:17 PM   #16
BillCA

Tourist,

As I said, it's not uncommon for burlgars to enter a house and arm themselves with a knife from the victim's own kitchen. Given that the knife was found under furniture in the livingroom gives rise to speculation that a confrontation occurred there, the homeowner and killer fought there, and the homeowner struggled out the back door and collapsed.

The killer could have been surprised by the homeowner and acted out of impulse. Or the killer may have expected more compliance from the resident and when he refused attacked him. Or the "burglar" could have surprised the homeowner after hearing him moving about and a struggle ensued. We don't know.

I live in one of the safest "large communities" (over 500K people) in California, yet I keep a firearm available to me almost 24/7 when home. I'm in a townhome complex and there are often strangers passing by. Some of these are visitors to other residents and some are not. When working in my garage with the door open I'll have a .22 or snubby .38 in a pocket in the event a stranger approaches. This does happen because some addresses are hard to locate, but I think I can tell the lost visitor from the potential thief or thug fairly easily.

After an attempted rape here a couple of years ago, we now keep visual tabs on any door-to-door "salesmen" and usually have the PD come check them out. As a result it's been quiet here for the last few years. Likewise, confronting a "wanderer" in the complex by asking if they're lost usually lets them know too many eyes are on them.

Page generated in 0.02921 seconds with 8 queries