View Single Post
Old February 4, 2014, 01:17 PM   #18
Bart B.

Brian's comment:
Quote:
However, "popular" doesn't automatically include #3. In fact, a lot of times there are things that are actually pretty poor in function but #1 and #2 over whelm #3.
Once upon a time, a guy showed up at a 1000 yard match allowing "any" rifle to be used. He brought his brand new.300 Weatherby Magnum factory hunting rifle and a couple boxes of Weatherby ammo. We helped him get on paper with his sighters. It was all he could do to keep most of his 20 scoring shots on the 6-foot square target paper.

I loaned him my .30-.338 match rifle and ammo to shoot the "High-Low" team match with me and he kept all 20 record shots inside the 30" 9 ring; fifteen went inside they 20" ten-ring.

44Amp, I don't think Old Roper's saying a Chevy will only stay in its lane if there are no other cars on the road. He's saying (in his own words) that in matches where different cartridges are allowed, some are producing better scores that the .308 does shooting against them. And I agree with him 150%. That's been happening since the late 1990's. I've said the same thing different ways, too.

Regarding:
Quote:
Also today there are literally dozens of off the shelf rifles set up to essentially rival the match guns of 50 years ago.
I disagree.

Name one that'll keep 30 to 40 consecutive shots inside 3 inches at 600 yards. Or 7 inches at 1000 yards.

However, if you are referring to arsenal built National Match M1's in .30-06 with M72 match ammo as "match guns of 50 years ago," there are a few off the shelf rifles these days that'll keep all their shots inside 25 inches with good ammo at 1000 yards just like they do.

Last edited by Bart B.; February 4, 2014 at 03:09 PM.

Page generated in 0.02657 seconds with 8 queries