View Single Post
Old August 19, 2009, 09:33 AM   #231
Glenn E. Meyer

To answer a previous question - does the simple presence of a firearm imply violence?

Since this has been intensively studied and well within my area of expertise - the answer is simply that it does for a significant number of people.

For folks with firearms knowledge the effect is not so great and has a little more contextual nuances. Go to the Polite Society next year and hear my presentation.

That's my point - for those outside the choir - the presence of the firearm does imply violence and prime negative attitudes. Then, if this is the case - does this display of firearms actually aid in achieving some political goal?

If you want to carry the day in public opinion you need to consider this. Making a statement that is within your rights but counterproductive may not be worth it - unless - losing the day but feeling good is your long term goal.

Oh, got my American Rifleman yesterday - it pointed out that 23 states have passed Castle Law bills. So I repeat my point that the wheels of democracy can turn in our direction as compared to the belly up cries of helplessness in the face of the MEDIA!!!

Page generated in 0.03407 seconds with 8 queries