View Single Post
Old August 7, 2012, 06:18 PM   #16
Ruark

I've sharpened up my skills a bit since recent events. It's easy to become complacent when you CCW for months and months, even years, on end. After a while your practice sessions get further apart (jeez, that ammo's expensive!), you stop carrying more often (aw, I'm just running down the block for some milk), and so on.

The Colorado shooting was something of a wake-up call for a lot of people. There have been some home invasions in a nearby city (we live on a farm). Recently there was a carjacking story in the newspaper. A woman was sitting at a stop sign. The carjacker came up behind and bumped her. He got out of the car with a big, friendly grin, and the lady got out, too, of course, and they walked around to the rear bumper to "check the damage." They found her corpse in a field a few days later.

Maybe I need to run down the street for some milk. I'm wearing a tucked-in shirt, and CCW means changing shirts. Changing shirts? Just for some milk? Too much hassle, good grief, nothing's going to happen anyway. You get my drift.

I've sort of picked up some things, bought some ammo and practiced more. I've increased my draw-and-dryfire practice, and try to carry more consistently. These days, you just... never... know.

Page generated in 0.03672 seconds with 8 queries