View Single Post
Old October 9, 2011, 08:58 PM   #11
Lost Sheep

The usual way to zero a mechanical scale is to raise or lower one end of the scale or the other, usually with a screw or wheel or something. Look underneath the scale to see what feet touch the tabletop. Usually there are three. One of them should be adjustable.

If that is not the case, there may be a thumbwheel or movable weight on one end of the balance beam. It might be adjustable with a screwdriver instead of your thumb, too.

I looked for pictures of your scale on line, but did not find any. Can you post some?

For gross adjustments, my Ohaus-made RCBS 10-10 has BBs inside the bottom of the scale's tray. The tray is held on with a screw. Your scale might have a compartment or something like that. Taking a BB or two out might let you zero your scale.

You have probably guessed from the length of time and thought I have put into making your mechanical scale function that I eschew electronic scales. You are right.

I have a friend who bought an electronic scale from a manufacturer with a good name that cost $130. It's instructions commanded a 45 minute wait time after turning it on before using it. It also required a new setup time if you moved it or jostled it. I was not impressed with its speed or ease of use. He asked me to trade it off for him.

Now he has an RCBS Chargemaster combo scale and powder dispenser. He loads slowly and carefully, so the Chargemaster is able to keep up with him. He is happy. I would not be. But then, he weighs every charge and I use a powder measure or a dipper. If I weighed every charge and trickled up to weight (as I do when I do weigh every charge) I would be marginally slower than the Chargemaster and get tired out before he did, too. But I don't, so I have no need of any electronic scale.

Except I do have a $30 electronic scale that can fit into a pocket. It is handy for a quick check of anything I need to weigh quickly (It does not take but a minute to settle in). But if I want precision I can be sure of, I set up a balance beam.

I have heard too many stories of electronic scales going "off" due to voltage variations, flourescent lights or unexplained reasons.

Lost Sheep

Last edited by Lost Sheep; October 9, 2011 at 09:47 PM.

Page generated in 0.02256 seconds with 8 queries