View Single Post
Old June 16, 2008, 07:34 AM   #5
garryc

Part of it is a testament to the value of a good bench, heck, maybe most of it. The bench at the club with the 100yrd range has an attached seat far too low from the top. I have to twist my body to get on the rifle and sit on some sand bags, and I'm 6'-1" tall. If I'm not very careful I'll get horizontal strings from the rifle rolling out in recoil. You have to stress muscles to the right to get on it so you might get strings of 2 or more inches to the right. All that while firing off a Caldwell "The Rock" rest. The more the rifle recoils the worse it is. That's the best bench they have, the others are made of 2x4's and plywood and they wobble.

Conversely, The range with the 600yrs capability are 34" to the top. They have stools that you can adjust to the height you want. The rifle will lay naturally on target and you don't have to stress any muscles to get on it. Unfortunately that range is 1-1/2 hours from my house.

Running off topic a bit:

I've pushed for benches typical of those used in the International Bench rest Shooters Association but we are heavy with handgun shooters and they are not having any of that. I guess I'll have to run for president to get that done.

That will be a fight because the president has been there for 9 years and for all that time his wife has been treasurer. They know that my first move as president will be a full audit of the books, I'm not suspecting wrong doing but I will look deep into it. I won president 15 years ago, the former president had his brother as treasurer for 6 years. I audited and found $45,000 missing, and that is just what I could prove. I had them prosecuted, both got 2yrs probation with an order to repay on a schedule, that was with a guilty plea.

I'm a bit of a hard @#$ when it comes to stealing.

Last edited by garryc; June 16, 2008 at 07:40 AM. Reason: spell check

Page generated in 0.04923 seconds with 8 queries