View Single Post
Old August 5, 2000, 10:56 PM   #14
Bill in NM

I'm glad to see this subject brought up here. Having watched my father cast his own for many years when I was growing up, I was always curious about it. When he passed away a few years ago, I inherited all of his casting equipment. Just started playing with it a few months ago, and really enjoy it. There are a number of things to consider. The first being, how much do you plan to shoot? The second is, how much available time do you have? The third is if it's cheaper to shoot, will you shoot more?
While there is a learning curve to casting, it's a pretty steep curve, you'll get the hang of it quickly. I would strongly recommend the manual that Paul suggested. I also found the article that Hank Williams Jr. wrote in the Lyman Pistol/Revolver Reloading manual very interesting.
Just for a bit of information, basing Powder at $20.00 per Lb, and primers at $18.00 per 1000, I can load a box of 50 .45ACP for $1.79 using 6.2 grains of powder.
It is a very rewarding part of reloading for me (plus it brings back fond memories of my father). I haven't had to buy a single bullet in about 6 to 8 months since I started casting, and I figure that even if I'd had to buy all the casting equipment new, it would have already paid for itself. Although it does help that I work in the automotive field, and have had several hundred pounds of wheel weights given to me.
Good luck and please don't hesitate to ask any questions here.

Bill

Page generated in 0.03561 seconds with 8 queries