View Single Post
Old May 10, 2013, 07:23 AM   #6
steve4102

Quote:
I just wanted to see who had experience loading LC 223 brass as it is my understanding it is heavier than Winchester or other non mil-spec brass and my need to be loaded to 5% less than what a manual may call for.
This is a Myth!

Your LC brass is not thicker and does not have less case capacity than Winchester 223 brass. In fact it probably has more case capacity. Load your LC brass the same as you would any Civilian 223 brass.

From Sierra.

The conventional wisdom to reduce loads with military brass is familiar to most reloaders and is generally good advice. The rationale here is that the military cases tend to be somewhat thicker and heavier than their civilian counterparts, which in turn reduces capacity and raises pressures. This additional pressure normally requires a one or two grain reduction from the loads shown in most manuals or other data developed with commercial cases. While this is most often the situation with both 308 Winchester and 30-06 cases, it is less true with the 223 brass. We have found that military cases often have significantly more capacity than several brands of commercial brass.

You can also go here and view actual 223/5.56 H20 case capacities, note the LC brass compared to Win brass.

Scroll down to "Case weight vs Capacity".

http://www.6mmbr.com/223rem.html

Page generated in 0.02072 seconds with 8 queries