View Single Post
Old April 11, 2013, 11:00 AM   #3
Scorch

Quote:
I was wondering if the term would be applied to rifles such as the USMC' M39 EMR or the US Army's Mk14 EBR
Well, since EBR stands for Enhanced Battle Rifle, I think the term "battle rifle" still applies. Let's just stick to the term "rifle" and no one will get confused.
Quote:
As I understand it, a battle rifle is a firearm that is typically chambered to fire a rifle caliber round,
A "battle rifle" is often defined as a rifle that fires a "full powered cartridge", as opposed to an "assault rifle" which is often defined as a rifle that fires a "reduced power cartridge" (then there are sub-machineguns and carbines that fire pistol cartridges). Full powered compared to what? That definition works pretty well when talking about the Gew43 and the SKS and the AK in all its variations, because those fire cartridges which were reduced in power from the standard service cartridges. OK, ready? Here's a problem with that definition. That means that the M16/M4 platform is a "battle rifle", since it fires a full-powered cartridge. Yes, the 5.56X45mm NATO is not a "reduced power" cartridge", in fact it is a higher powered cartridge than the parent cartridge, the 222 Remington. Same with the M1 Carbine, the 30 M1 cartridge is actually higher powered than the parent 32 WSL cartridge.

Hmmmmm. What to do? I say don't sweat it, just say "rifle" or "carbine" and let the semanticians wreak havoc with the terminology.

Page generated in 0.02089 seconds with 8 queries