View Single Post
Old April 30, 2012, 10:02 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Interesting suggestion, but how about not?

The handgun forum descriptions are pretty clear as to what is to be placed in a particular forum.

They've not changed in probably 10 years.

Since April of last year every new members gets a "READ ME" pop up when he logs in for the first time, a pop up that SHOULD serve to reinforce the concept of putting posts in the correct forum:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/anno...t.php?f=1&a=97

As far as I'm concerned, new members should have even less excuse for getting it wrong because they supposed read the pop up when they joined. I suspect, though, that far too many are simply saying screw it and clicking right past it.

And when they have a post closed for being in the wrong forum, some of them get testy. Sorry, no sympathy.

It's not rocket science, it's not higher order mathematics. It's a little bit of reading, a little bit of abstract reasoning, and if all else fails, it's a one in three chance of being right.

The forums exist as they do because they serve the purpose of best facilitating discussion, ease of finding topics of interest, and providing a searchable repository of information.

All we're asking is that people take a moment and read and think about the subject of what they're posting. Again, it's just not that difficult.

Interesting enough, we ran through the same kind of "learning curve" if you want to call it that when the Gun Show Forums underwent a series of rule changes a few years ago. The big one was that all sales/want ads must include the poster's state of residence.

People were pointed to the new rules repeatedly before enforcement began, announcements were made, whole 9 yards. And yet a small group of people ignored it all and yelled long and loud when their posts were deleted for failing to abide by the TFL Gun Show rules of engagement.

Yet, over time, the number of posts closed has dropped significantly.

The same is true of the handgun forums. Misplaced posts have dropped dramatically as people have come to recognize that we're serious about this.

So no, I don't think any changes to the handgun forums are needed or warranted or are forthcoming.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.

Page generated in 0.02620 seconds with 8 queries