View Single Post
Old September 20, 2010, 03:07 PM   #13
kraigwy

Quote:
Kraig - when you say away from the body, do you mean old FBI style of holding the light out to the left (for right handed shooters)?
Well I don't know about the FBI as I have lots of problems with the FBI, but I wont get into that here.

I meant, Away from your body, at an location from the body the situation dictates. Two reasons. The light may be a target and you don't want to stand behind it. and Two, you want it pushed away to a point where it doesn't shine or reflect into your eyes. Directly at the target isn't necessarily the best place to point the flashlight beam.

I can't say where to put it, cause I don't know what you are doing or the environment you are doing it, but as an example, if peeking though a window, you don't want to peek over the light, better to shine the light in a different window or window pain then the one you are looking trough and one that doesn't reflect light back into your eyes.

Most of the time, even at night, in building searches you have enough light, either night lights, or street lights, etc. you don't need to walk around with the light on. Only blinking into an area you can't see, BUT NOT WITH THE LIGHT DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF YOU.

I wont say which one, but some fed LE people came to our department and tried to get us to shoot two handed, with the flashlight, directly under the gun held some weird way with the non-shooting hand. No Sir, not for me. Not often when you are clearing a room that you don't have to use your non-shooting hand grabbing door knobs, using a pocket mirror, etc etc.

This is something you should try. Empty your gun, turn off all your lights and walk around the house, garage, barn, whatever. Try different ideals, be flexible.

Then if you have some trusted shooting buddies, switch, do the same thing in their house and out buildings. Try checking doors, closets, attics, basements, etc and see how easy it is to do using a flashlight with a two handed grip with a flashlight.

If you have access to an indoor range, (even outside if can be done safely). Find your target, roll the flashlight across the floor while on and aimed at the direction of the target. You'll be surprised how will you can still see your target over the front sight.

Practice every way from Sunday different methods, carrying different things besides the flashlight and gun (keys, mirrors, cell phone to police, etc.). One thing I can guarantee, if the time comes you have to clear a house or building, it will be completely different then what you practiced.

I practiced a lot of different ideals in indoor and outdoor ranges. I'll give an example, some lady thought an ex-BF she had a restraining order was in the house. I checked it and found it clear. She followed me back to my car, JUST AS WE SUFFERED A POWER OUTAGE. Freaked her out, so I have to recheck the house to make her feel better. Sure a poop, the dude had moved in and was hiding in a closet, NO LIGHTS, I got a flash light in one hand, screaming lady pulling on my non shooting arm. pistol in the other, and getting the idiot out of the closet who's screaming, "don't shoot, don't shoot", You just can't practice for everything.

Anyways, those days are gone, I just have to care for me and mine, I've found what works for me, not saying it works for everyone.

But what the heck, we love shooting, practicing is shooting, shooting, therefore practice is fun.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.02452 seconds with 8 queries