View Single Post
Old September 20, 2010, 10:56 AM   #10
kraigwy

I don't know about "Harris" but we (APD) did a lot of practice with a flashlight. On our monthly qualifications in the indoor range, we (Firearm Instructors) turned down or off the lights and go through some shooting drills.

I don't understand why everyone who carries a gun doesn't practice with flash lights. Especially cops. Geess how many building searches do cops do? But not just cops, but anyone concerned in protecting their families and homes.

On the same line, we don't practice near enough with one hand, again, I've done thousands of building searches of one kind or another. You have flash lights, mirrors (to look around corners) keys for other rooms (obtained from the owners), door knobs, windows, etc etc. Chances are in most situations I can think of you are gonna have to shoot a fast, one handed shot. But we do 90+ per cent of our practice with two hands.

Yes I know, and have use techniques of using the flashlights with two hands, ON THE RANGE, but I've never done a building search like that. My revolver is in one hand, the flash light or something else is in the other.

As a range officer, I tried to stir the officers away from the TWO Hand and Flashlight style. Hold the flashlight away from your body and shoot one handed.

Yeah I know, everyone says I let my Bullseye corrupt my defensive shooting, so what, I can shoot with one hand.

Another thing a bit off topic is shot guns. I don't like them for building searches, they are in the way. they are too wildly, Only good for about 40 yards, past that, I'm better with a revolver, past that, well a 357 shoots much further then a shot gun. I carried a shotgun in my patrol car, but seldum ever used it. When I did, I found it in the way.

OK there's my morning rant.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.02498 seconds with 8 queries