View Single Post
Old December 14, 2005, 10:40 AM   #33
Jack Malloy

Handy,
the High Point fan base isn't interested in facts or truth, you are just wasting your time pointing out the TRUTH about Zamak to them....
It IS pot metal.
No reputable maker of decent guns uses it today.
High Pont admirers don't care. They can't admit that they got skinned so the skulk around online boasting about what a great gun they bought......
When those of us who have been shooting for a decade or two know better.
Older shooters have seen these and other makers of junk guns come and go over the years and while they all produced cheap guns, none of them were even worth owning.

Those industrial quotes about Zamak dont' impress anybody much when you realize what they are talking about. They are referring its use for things like mirror frames, candleabras and decorative sword hilts, not gun parts....
If its that great to make gun parts, why doesn't Ruger, Colt, Smith, Sig, etc. use it?
Glock and Smith are always looking for ways to cut expenses and even they dont use it.....
Fact is only one legit gunmaker ever used it (Smith) and they dropped it fast when they realized it did not make much sense to produce a .380 (Sigma) with a 3,500 lifespan. The guns began breaking and gave them a bad rep. So they stopped making them. The bad reputation hurt their sales on BETTER GUNS to the point that it did not make sense to compete with the Zamakamatic Junkmakers.

And remember, that was a low pressure .380. I really doubt a 9 or 40 with a zamak slide is gonna make it that far....Too much pressure for the pot metal slide, no matter how thick or heavy you make it...

Bronze would be a better choice for a slide than Zinc or Zamak. Bronze was the original gun material, after all. Even brass would be better. Replica black powder gunmakers have used brass as a substitute for years. Or pig iron or mild steel, for that matter.

Its' no secret that the only people using Zamak for gun components are making junk guns. Hi Point, Lorcyn, Bryco, Jennings, Raven etc... Are all of them still even in business?
The only "quality" of Zamak and other zinc alloys these makers are interested is that its CHEAP.
Any gun made of it is JUNK.
I handled two NIB Hi Points lately. Neither would even function. I guess it doesnt matter that the service life is so low when the peice don't function.
If some people don't care about quality, reliability, safety or durability in their firearms and only give a crap about it being CHEAP more power to them and their polymer and pot metal plinkers.
But nobody who really does care about a good gun or self defense would be caught dead with a Hi Point if they could get ANYTHING better.
And you can, in the same price range, if you know where to look.
There is a reason why NO law enforcement or military agency in North America issues these things. They are junk.
All the wishful thinking, fantasies, boasts and flat out lies in the world won't change that.
If the most important factor to a gun is that it's cheap, why did so many makers of junk guns go out of business? The RG and the Rohm were even CHEAPER than the Hi Point after all. Where are they now?
Anybody serious about buying a gun needs to think about value for the dollar over cheapness.....

I've been shooting my Kimber compact since it came out with its MIM parts and its still going strong and looks and handles like it did when it was new...
And if I sell it, I can get a lot more than $30-$50 out of it. Or I can hand it down to my descendants who will still be able to use it 90 years from now. No Hi Point owner can make those claims with a straight face....

>>ZAMAK alloys are the standard general purpose die casting alloys, exhibiting an excellent combination of cost, strength, ductility, impact strength and finishing characteristics. They are the designer's first choice when considering die casting. <<

Page generated in 0.03970 seconds with 8 queries