View Single Post
Old November 23, 1999, 08:41 AM   #11
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

To each his own,Giz. Re #4 buck at 50 yards, I'm not sure each pellet has sufficient retained energy,but I admit I haven't crunched the numbers. Doing so makes my head hurt(G)...

Agreed on 25 yards, except in very unusual cases.Some of the guys that do semipro turkey shoots may have some input about chokes and boring that may apply.

Shotguns can sure come up with some headscratchers. One year at the range for the hunter's sight in day, I saw one gent with a Model 97 16 ga,full choke, put three slugs into a cloverleaf at 100 yards,then do it again when someone said it must have been a fluke.Bead sight,no rib. He was the grandson or G grandson of the original owner, and said it has taken a trainload of meat over the years. Go figure!

And slings should not be on a HD weapon, just something to get in the way at a terribly wrong time. The HD 870 here at Casa McC has none, the 870 dedicated to deer hunting does.

Bennett, never had a problem with retention except with the original corncob forearm on the oldest 870 here,ca 1956. That forearm is now on the 870 set up for birds and clays, where a little slip is not crucial. But, if it works for you, I see no downside from here.

Page generated in 0.03790 seconds with 8 queries