View Single Post
Old October 22, 2010, 04:41 AM   #2
oldandslow

gw, 10/22/10

I have a 5906 and a 6904 (the blued slide version of the 6906). I measured the lengths of the extractors on each by dial caliper and the 5906's extractor is 0.015" longer than that on the 6904. Furthermore I looked up the part numbers for the extractors for the 5906 and 6906 on Numrich's parts sight (www.e-gunparts.com) and they are different. Unfortunately they are out of both the nickeled and stainless extractors for the 5906. When in this position in the past my last resort is to email the guntechs at Brownells (www.brownells.com) and ask them if they can special order the part. They have always been able to find the parts somewhere.

One other addition- fitting an extractor to a SW 3rd generation pistol like the 5906 is not just a drop in job. There is a metal shoulder on the same side as the extractor hook that needs to be filed down to get the extractor working adequately. I have fit three or four on my pistols and I usually measure the shoulder of the extractor that I am replacing and start with that measurement. So far it's worked well. There have been threads on SW extractor fitting either here or on the SW forum (www.smith-wessonforum.com) or TheHighRoad (www.thehighroad.org) which have been very helpful, I think authored by a gentleman named Fastbolt (from memory). Do a search and see what you can turn up.

best wishes- oldandslow

PS- did search and found thread titled "s&w 5906 extractor" by Sea Buck, first on Jan. 28, 2010, here on TFL. Fastbolt posted great info on extractor replacement. Good luck.

Last edited by oldandslow; October 22, 2010 at 04:49 AM.

Page generated in 0.02675 seconds with 8 queries