View Single Post
Old September 14, 2000, 07:05 PM   #10
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

No, I didn't study under Bruce.
I just been in a lot of fights... Read and agreed with Sun Tzu... and got from the US ARMY, a deep understanding of the application and results of a properly planned and executed ambush.

The deer in the headlights is a good analogy.
Also - the fact remains:
Action is faster than Reaction.
My point is this - as soon as you sense that its "GO TIME". Go.
Don't get into a mental debate "Ah, this is just a bluff - this guys doesnt want to throw down or fight..." If you do that - you have lost. Take comfort in the fact that if you feel threatened, you can defend yourself... Or if he (the Other Guy) has made a threat, you have just been assaulted and thus can defend yourself.
My favored combination in HTH if this:
A very rapid snap kick to the groin, followed by a PUNCH-DRAW move striking the nose. This worked for me when faced with a (Tongan) mugger that outsized/weighed me by 30% (seemed like 100%).
If it had gone to a ground fight - I'ld have lost. But my Action was faster than his Reaction and thus I won.

Tapping into your Adrenalin was mentioned... Thats only part of it... Easily tapped, but not enough to WIN a FIGHT. Every person has something inside them... I call it my Engine. Gabe Suarez formerly of the Halo Group, calls it his Dragon... Whatever you call it - its a side of you that society teaches us to bury - to deny. Its the Dark Side that remains our connection with our brutal evolutionary beginings... The Killer Instinct. THATS what you have to tap into.
Some folks cant control it, or open the tap and cant shut it. We call them Death Row inmates after they get caught... so you need to be able to open it right at "GO TIME" and then close it back off when the threat is over. That instinct is there... and its hard to go sparring and have a good work out that will let that tap open for training purposes... I'ld be afraid to try... But in a for real fight - That is the edge. Thats your weapon... weather you are armed or not.

"The application of violence has solved more problems in history..."

[This message has been edited by George Hill (edited September 14, 2000).]

Page generated in 0.03489 seconds with 8 queries