View Single Post
Old August 23, 2014, 12:20 PM   #128
TDL

Quote:
Self Defense has to be sufficient reason for obtaining a permit by law-abiding citizens, see the 1st underlined section. If DC tries to craft a may-issue scheme ala MD/NJ/MA/NY, I would imagine some swift action will be taken under the District ruling without having to start a new case. Just my .02 worth.

Gotta love the caveat for non-residents of DC as well.

Reminder that the District has 30 days to Appeal to Circuit. That will happen by next Thursday, 8/28. IF DC does Appeal by then, they will likely ask for, and get, a Stay of Mandate while the case spends the next year or two going through Appeals.

How this will all shake out depends on the next move, which belongs to DC.
Again: And?

There is nothing whatsoever stopping them from copying already upheld stringent "may issue" regimes. In Maryland for example your carry can specific places you carry after you prove need to carry at those places

As far as the non residents, they can allow it without reciprocity but instead with forcing a DC issued "non resident DC carry permit" scheme, just as non-residents today have to get a DC ownership permit to keep a firearm in their non resident second home in DC or their place of business in DC.

They will drag it out, promulgate the most stringent de facto no issue possible, and drag it out some more. There is no actual supreme court ruling on right to carry.

Don't mistake my realistic pessimism on this as support for any of DC's positions on this.

Lastly, Emily Miller is always not the best source on DC gun issues. Yes she is photogenic, but she very often spins it wrong.

Last edited by TDL; August 23, 2014 at 12:30 PM.

Page generated in 0.02380 seconds with 8 queries