View Single Post
Old April 20, 2012, 09:42 AM   #60
IZZY

Quote:
As far as the rest... gotta check your local laws. I have a feeling this is a huge grey area in most places. I'm not so sure you'd be covered by Good Samaritan laws since you caused the injuries. In googling trying to find some answers I did find that Minnesota at least requires you to give "reasonable assistance," however you interpret that.

Quote:
A person who discharges a firearm and knows or should know that the discharge has caused bodily harm to another person must immediately investigate the extent of the injuries and render immediate reasonable assistance to the injured person. A person who violates this duty is subject to criminal penalties that vary according to the extent of the shooting victim’s injuries. A person who witnesses a shooting incident is subject to the same duty to investigate and render aid and is also subject to criminal penalties for failing to do so. Minn. Stat. § 609.662
IMO legally and morally you're probably better off helping if at all possible, even if it isn't required. If the DA decides to charge you, sitting there and watching while the BG bleeds out isn't going to help your case.
Yep MN is a different place, this is not legal advice, and I am not a lawyer, but would not calling an ambulance ( or requesting one on the 911 call) be considered "rendering aid" to a gunshot wound for most non medical professionals?

certainly going on record as requesting an ambulance ( would be sent in any case) is a positive thing to do in such a negative cultural environment ( e.g. media lynchings). I also happen to think it IS the right thing to do. And I presume that everyone here would at least do that.

Page generated in 0.02913 seconds with 8 queries