View Single Post
Old July 25, 2011, 10:26 PM   #21
jimmythegeek

Secured vs. kids, not burglars

The threat I'm addressing is child access.

I have a cable lock + cheap plastic case with lock. That case is cabled to something heavy. The whole thing moderately concealed, and required parts stored separately and ammunition stored separately from both. I think that will handle the child access issue. The class of burglars that could take it could also probably get into an entry level safe, too. I saw some at Dicks with a 1/8 inch gap. Might as well have had a "insert pry bar HERE" sticker. If I go bigger, it will be with a Class C / TL15 equivalent.

I don't have anything I'd really hate to see a thief get. My little Marlin 795 is too big for concealment and too small for gang activity. I consider the risk quite low that it will contribute to someone's misery if stolen. If I ever get a pistol, shotgun, or AR15, then sure. I'd feel a moral obligation to take all reasonable steps to secure those.

I saw a thread on another forum where a locksmith said he sees broken safes regularly. I wonder...I'm starting another thread. "Ever had a gun safe broken into?"

Page generated in 0.02489 seconds with 8 queries