Thread: 1911 question?
View Single Post
Old August 4, 2012, 12:55 PM   #8
Lost Sheep

Ozzieman, I suspect that if the load is too light, the slide would not cycle back as far as the lock position.

Creeper, I, too, would like to know if this condition can be recreated by hand.

Does this happen with these magazines in another gun?

Try this: load two rounds in the magazine. Fire them. Does it still happen?

Does it still happen if the round on the bottom is one that has not exhibited this failure? Then I would suspect the power level as Ozzieman suggested.

Does it still happen if the round on the top is a round that has not exhibited this failure? Then I would suspect the shape of the round or your magazine (either the feed lips or the follower.

Isn't the standard length for the 230 grain round nose 1.275 in? Is is possible for that to make a difference? (Grasping at straws here)

Last, least likely straw to grasp: The slide lock or its spring/cam surface.

It is not normal for the last round to come out of the magazine without its being stripped by the slide. Since the slide is locked back, what you describe is supposed to be impossible. I would suspect your magazine feed lips have opened up too far or that your magazine spring is weak (allowing the cartridge to be shaken out of the lips instead of forcibly stripped). Neither of those are likely to happen to all you magazines at the same time, though.

(edit: Nathan posted while I was examining my 1911 and composing this answer.)

Let us know what happens when you try to duplicate the events with manual cycling of the slide, please.

Lost Sheep.

Last edited by Lost Sheep; August 4, 2012 at 01:00 PM.

Page generated in 0.03382 seconds with 8 queries