View Single Post
Old January 31, 2011, 09:54 AM   #1
BConklin

Ruger Mark II bull barrel holster - my way

I'm new to holster making and carrying sidearms in holsters - this is my second attempt at holster making and I'd appreciate feedback from those with more experience as to whether they think this design would be practical in the field.

This one gave me lots of challenges - with both the designing and the execution.
I wanted a mag sheath that could piggyback on the holster - OR ride on my belt. Once I figured out a design I liked on paper I set about making it up.

Got the main seam stitched on the holster and the gun barely fit. Pulled all the hand stitches and put a thick strip of leather between the two sides at the seam as a filler - then the gun didn't fit at all because the filler was too wide. So I pulled the stitches again, trimmed the filler and stitched it up again....then I didn't like the safety strap. I'd used a thinner leather and the color didn't match nicely so I pulled the stitches again, made new straps and stitched it up again. The I cut the friggin hole for the brass Sam Browne post wrong - putting the little slot below the hole instead of above...No way was I gonna sew that main seam again so I just made the hole oblong and went with it.

The front sight would have presented a problem if it hadn't been rounded over. Otherwise, that reverse chisel effect on the stock front sight would probably slice this holster in half pretty quickly.

After all was said and done this is what I came up with - custom fitted, hand stitched and calf skin lined..

Last edited by BConklin; January 31, 2011 at 09:59 AM.

Page generated in 0.03700 seconds with 8 queries