View Single Post
Old January 12, 2005, 08:52 PM   #14
Rojoe67

Welcome to the deer hunt.......

Glad to have another deer hunter...and that you ask for a few ideas shows your a true sportsman. Seems to me a lot of folks try to get into it with out asking any questions or doing any research before opening day. Well, I as most all these folks can give some ideas and the rest is up to you to try and sort out.... I still am after a lot of Novembers have come and gone.

My biggest bucks taken were hunted on the ground.... I do like to get up in a tree with the bow but that is sort of a different kind of close and personal thing and I guess a whole different chapter. I feel weather and wind give the deer his operating directions constantly... So I try when sitting to keep the wind in my face....seems to be SW and W here up in Michigan. This as everthing isn't in stone. I was surprised when a neighbor of mine was hunting the day after Thanksgiving in a darn near down pour rain.... He got the biggest buck of his life (65 years) that day. 10 point - 200 pound whitetail. So when others stay in or pass the chance cause of weather I think it pays to go hunt. Wear some high visability orange hat or vest.... most states require you to. I want to be seen by other hunters.... and I hope I see them too? I think foot odor and clothing odor can be important so air your gear out the night before.... dont smoke in your hunting gear... The deer has a nose and eyes that keep him alive so he knows how to use them.
I try to think of the woods or hunt location as a big house....that the deer live in ..... so don't make radical furniture adjustments cause I think they are smart and know something isn't right..... One last thought is when your stomach growls for lunch try to stay hunting....the other hungry hunters will move around and cause the deer to move.... maybe right to your shooting lane....? I made the mistake a few years ago.........and a dandy buck was harvested in the exact spot I was at just 20 minutes prior.... Well, I hope you had and continue to have great moments in the deer woods....... Enjoy the time out there....... I always do....... and now I take my son and soon my 2 girls out......... it just makes the hunt ten times greater.....

Page generated in 0.02244 seconds with 8 queries