View Single Post
Old June 15, 2000, 05:56 PM   #3
K80Geoff

Several of the clays ranges in my area have sporting clays stations set up in a circle around the shotfall area. The distance appears to be about 200 yards but I have never measured it off so this is a guess. Several times while shooting sporting clays I have been showered with spent shot from the trap ranges. I have seen several trappers complain of being hit with shot. Apparently trapshooters often load #6 shot to get better hits (shot larger than 7 1/2 is verboten on most ranges). I have never heard of trapshooters at the club complaining of shot from the Sporting Clays shooters.

Personally I would try to get as much distance as possible if I were setting up a range, especially if non shooters are in the picture. Also post signs prominently indicating the largest shot allowed, it only takes one jackass loading leftover #4 shot to cause problems.

Btw, one range has a herd of deer that graze on the grass in the shotfall area, they seem to know where to stand and not get hit, and the shooting doesn't seem to annoy them at all!

Geoff Ross

Page generated in 0.02873 seconds with 8 queries