View Single Post
Old July 17, 2011, 07:27 PM   #15
handlerer2

Hooligan, this rather surprises me. I own two Weatherby rifles, a MKV in 340 WBY and a Vanguard in 300WBY. I think this says more about the service of GM than Weatherby. I have to assume that there aren't many competant gunsmiths in your area. I live in rifle heaven so I would have to take mine less than a mile for repair, but it not needed.

Howa/Vanguard barrels are hammer forged on machinery that is state of the art. All the major European manufacturers use only hammerforgeing, SAko FN, Steyr, Saur, ect. In Europe anything else is considered Mom and Pop operation. The benefit of hammerforgeing is that the barrels come out as smooth as lapped buttongrooved barrels,that is why Sako, Howa ect use this process.

I bought my Vanguard on impulse while shopping for a good pair of boots at the local Scheels. The price was good and when I saw the factory target, .6", I knew I wasn't going get anymore rifle for the money.

With my handloads I have come very close to the factory target. I have taken two nice mule deer and neither of them took a step'

I have owned quite few rifles, since 1972 when I bought my first magnum rifle, a MDL 700, 7mag. IMO opinion the Vanguard is superior in build quality to any Rem, Browning, or Savage I have ever fired or owned. It has many features, that some consider old fashioned, like a solid bolt, integral recoil lug, and bomb proof extractor. Rem, Savage, Browning Tikka don't have these features and all are more expensive. I wouldn't trade my Vanguard for three MDl 700's, even though none of my Rems ever failed me.

I think I feel your disappointment, but I guess there are going to some rifles can come less than perfect. I hope that GM can fix this for you to your satis faction, 'cause I have never heard a problem with a Vanguard barrel.

Last edited by handlerer2; July 17, 2011 at 07:38 PM.

Page generated in 0.02315 seconds with 8 queries