View Single Post
Old December 1, 2009, 12:10 PM   #1
KingEdward

New scam (don't fall victim)

I debated whether or not to post as this happened last Wed night (11/25).

But I thought some may want to know and I wonder if I could have (or should have done anything differently).

I drove to a nearby BlockBuster store to retun movies. You cannot park close in front due to the two lane traffic flow so you have to park about 90 feet from the door. I parked in a front space facing the front door. I walked in, dropped the movies and walked out.

As I was walking towards my vehicle I noticed another car had pulled in behind mine (the spaces are two deep) and a lady and her son got out and
walked past me. Nothing out of the ordinary. I opened my door, was about
to sit down when a Nissan Titan truck quickly pulled in front of my car sideways with the driver rolling down the passenger window and motioning to me with his hand to come towards the truck.

I kept my door open but had not started the car. I remained standing behind my door and I did not approach the truck. I didn't feel threatened per se but was a little concerned as I could not move my vehicle to leave. The driver of the truck was vehemently motioning for me to move towards the window but I did not. My next move depended on him and I was going to discreetly
call the police non emergency number from my cell phone in my jacket pocket
while watching him like a hawk. I was CCW but there was no immediate grave threat so I was not inclined to go that route.

He made his decision to yell out his window to me the following (and yes, there is a Walgreen's store about 100 feet across from the blockbuster): "Hey man, can you help me out as I am $10 short on getting a prescription filled at the Walgreens for my little girl. She is sick at home and I've been out of work and I really need a little help here."

I chose to remain behind my car door and expressed the following to him: "I do not have any cash on me and I feel for your situation. Maybe the manager or someone in the store can help you out. Can you please move your truck as I need to leave."

He then looked me up and down for about 20 seconds and he did not seem pleased. I dialed the number and hit send. He drove away and did not turn in to the Walgreens. I told dispatch what happened and gave them his tag #. I came close to following him and calling Police again if he tried it on someone else but I went home.

I've never been "boxed in" before and some on here have shared stories and I understand now it is not a comfortable feeling. While I don't believe he was a violent threat, my gut said stay by my car and be ready for anything.

If you are doing business near a Walgreen's, be alert to this scam. It seems they'll come up with anything for ten bucks these days. I found it a little hard to believe that he was in a $40,000 truck and couldn't come up with
money for his sick child.

Page generated in 0.03443 seconds with 8 queries