View Single Post
Old June 16, 2012, 12:20 AM   #2
rg1

Most 4 die sets I'm familiar with have the 4th die as a separate crimping die. This is best as you can seat the bullet with the seater and transfer the round to the crimp die to crimp. If you don't have the crimp die you have to seat all rounds and then readjust the seater die to crimp. Doing this you lose all your settings. You can seat and crimp in one operation by properly adjusting the seater die but I don't like to seat and crimp at the same time. The 4th crimp die is especially useful for pistol rounds and in particular pistol rounds that are taper crimped like 9mm, 45acp and others. I originally purchased several 3 die sets and later purchased separate crimp dies and added to the set.
Some rifle 3 die sets have one sizer die that full length sizes the case and the 3rd die is a neck sizing die. You need to search for exactly what dies come in your 4 die set. If you don't want a rifle die that neck sizes cases used only for bolt action rifles then you will only need the 2 die set.
Like I said, I like to have a separate crimp die and have bought separate seating dies and adjust them for crimping only.
edited to say rifle dies are usually 2 dies and the 3rd die is usually a neck sizer only die. I originally said 4 die rifle die sets??

Last edited by rg1; June 16, 2012 at 06:35 PM.

Page generated in 0.03490 seconds with 8 queries