View Single Post
Old September 21, 2011, 11:40 AM   #1
doctorj77

USPS - Accidently Shipped Long Gun out of state (Need Advice?)

I don't know if this belongs in General or Law. So Admins, forgive me if incorrect and move if applicable.

So from another forum, I have made a purchase from a member. He was mailing me two long guns in the mail. In Michigan that is legal, no FFL, as long as it stays within state lines, and long guns only. Done it before. Had no problems in the past doing it.

But, something has happened here. I requested the seller to supply me with a Tracking #. Which he did two days ago.. According to the USPS, it has a expected delivery of 9/22, tomorrow. I went out and checked the status of it today, and find out it arrived at a sorting facility in PA. *** ?

So I contacted the seller today and he verified he used my address that I supplied, in MI. So only thing I can think of is this possibly is a redirect because of sorting facility issues.

Anyway, my question is, whats the legal ramifications here? Both Seller and Buyer have obeyed ATF rules and State laws on this transaction. But if for some reason the usps redirects it out of state, for whatever reason, who's liable? And for what? I don't imagine me as a buyer would be in trouble. But the seller, well, he's worried he might get a knock on the door from the ATF now.

I guess we'll find out tomorrow on the supposed delivery date. I just never expected this. Does anyone have any suggestions why the package may have been redirected? I know one plausible answer is the Seller simply sent to the wrong address. But I've dealt with him before. And as result, I have confidence he's not that stupid and did send to right one.

Edit: Just found out it arrived back into Michigan now. But it clearly says it went from MI, to PA, and now back to MI. Guess I can't expect too much from a Government ran organization.

Page generated in 0.03149 seconds with 8 queries