View Single Post
Old July 30, 2008, 06:42 AM   #92
Keltyke

Good posts, Scattergun.

I watch countless "cop" shows. It's "Drop the gun! Drop the gun! Drop the gun!" Over and over as the suspect just stands there with the gun hanging muzzle down in his hand, staring blankly. He's not complying - why don't they shoot, as Glen would? Because they got several Glock .40s trained on him. If he even twitches, they got him cold. If that gun hand moves one inch, he's Swiss cheese. He's not a threat and there's no reason to shoot.

"Drop the gun!"
"Yes sir." Slowly bend and lay your weapon on the ground, then straighten with your hands in plain sight. Trust me, you won't get shot.

If, as I have suggested, you reholster immediately after the threat is negated (as you should - secure your weapon), all this is moot. The cops will tell you exactly what to do before disarming you themselves.

Even when guns are out and the adrenaline is flowing, cops are trained to maintain composure and act in a professional manner. 98% of them do. You can NOT compare their reactions with Joe Blow on the street. We hold them to a higher standard of conduct than the average citizen. It doesn't matter what kind of shift they've had, or what the home life is like, or how tired they are, or how many traffic stops got them cussed out. They're professionals and they act like it. As has been said, they're not your friends, nor are they your enemies. They're there to do a job - period. Maybe I'm easy, but I give them a lot more credit than some in this thread do.

Page generated in 0.03550 seconds with 8 queries