View Single Post
Old May 5, 2020, 04:57 PM   #1
stagpanther

I finally tagged out!

Many of you probably already know I'm not an especially good hunter--possibly the world's worst. However today my luck finally changed for the better after years of preparation finally paid off.

I spotted this fence post not far from my house several years ago while searching the woods for my compass which I dropped someplace. It was a beauty, and I decided to scout for it in the off-season and pattern it's behavior. I eventually discovered that fence posts are creatures of habit--remarkably I found this one in almost exactly the same spot year after year. Recently my state lifted it's ban on crossbow hunting during archery season--so I felt even though I was rusty I might stand a good chance of putting this bruiser down.

I got up early this morning so I could be out in the woods early--it's spring clean up time and many people are burning blow-down and leaves left over from the winter, I didn't want my chances spoiled. It seemed like forever to crawl my downwind approach to the area where I last saw this fence post--but luck was with me--there he was in almost the same spot.

I very slowly raised my bow and the fence post didn't show any signs of knowing anything else was there, even when I accidentally sneezed and farted at the same time.

But just as I was about to pull the trigger a red squirrel sounded the alarm and the fence post took off on a dead run. I knew it was a risky shot, quartering from the rear, but after calculating the hold-over and lead I let the bolt fly. I struck him just above his rear leg and he went down after maybe another 100 yds or so--he left a good sap trail that was easy to follow.

He measures 4 x 4 and weighs about 20 lbs. I still haven't made up my mind how to process or cook him.

PS: BTW--I have no idea how to get that bolt out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2997.jpg (212.7 KB, 259 views)

Page generated in 0.02576 seconds with 9 queries