View Single Post
Old March 26, 2012, 03:50 PM   #60
Webleymkv

Quote:
Quote:
With respect, it always intrigues me as to why some have the idea that murdering a police officer is somehow worse then murdering anyone else.
Your stated 'police officer' scenario should be investigated, facts gathered and if need be, prosecuted the same as any other shooting.
Course, I also feel the penalty for proven murder should be extreme, no plea bargaining, no immunity and the penalty applied across the board for whomever the murderer or victim was. No exceptions. Sadly, we have people in this country sitting in prisons doing more time for traficking in marijuana then murder....that's another discussion.

It is generally treated as any other case and investigated as such. However, the social stigma surrounding it is a bit more intense. Kind of like a soldier, they do a job most others do not want to or can't. The media also tends to hype it up a lot. And of course, like soldiers or military, when you do something to one, you might as well have done it to all of them.
I would add to this that someone who perpetrates a violent crime against a police officer is often viewed as an even greater danger to society than someone who perpetrates a violent crime against a non-LEO. The thought process behind that assumption is that if someone is willing to violently assault or murder a police officer, who is already known to be armed and capable of defending himself, then what would that person be willing to do to an unarmed and helpless victim?

While the letter of the law regarding murder of a police officer may be the same as murder of anyone else, when such an event occurs the police are more likely to give it their full and undivided attention and the perpetrator of the crime is likely to recieve a harsher punishment when caught and convicted.

Page generated in 0.02770 seconds with 8 queries