View Single Post
Old July 26, 2013, 07:40 AM   #7
kraigwy

No I don't rotate my carry handgun, I highly recommend against it.

Self defense like combat, by its nature is a panic situation. You're scared, stressed, and cant thing straight. The only thing you have going for you is your training, training that develops muscle memory, or habits that allows you to act without thinking, because face it, you're not going to be able to think.

The last thing you want, is to wonder, "what gun am I carrying today", "where is the safety, is there a safety, do I have cock it or jus pull the trigger".

Go watch some matches and watch the shooters. You'll see people drawing presenting the weapon on the target, jerk a bit, then hunt for the safety. Or something else.

I shoot a lot and I screw up quite a bit. Often at our club you can go through the course twice using a different gun.

Lets say I go through the first course with a 1911, and the second course with my Beretta 92FS. On the 1911 my thumb rest on the safety, as I present my pistol get on the target, my thumb pushes down on the safety as my finger goes to the trigger.

Then I shoot my Beretta, I put my thumb on the safety and as I present my gun I push down on the safety as my finger goes to the trigger....EXCEPT...the safety on the Beretta needs to be pushed up.

I know this, I think about it before I get called to the line, but when the timer buzzard goes off, it all goes out the window, my muscle memory takes over and I try to push the safety on the Beretta down.

I lose a second or two because this is competition.

On my carry gun, I don't have to worry about it, it comes out and I pull the trigger, no thinking, no wondering if the safety goes up or down. No thinking at all.

I carry the same gun the same place, the same way, every time.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.02762 seconds with 8 queries