View Single Post
Old July 20, 2012, 05:43 PM   #1
overthere

I messed up - need advice

I am relatively new to reloading. I have reloaded a total of 350 rounds of 9mm and around 200 rounds of .223.

I was seating bullets for a batch of 40 rounds of .223 - 55 gr FMJ and I did not notice I had set the bullet seating die incorrectly. I ended up squishing the shoulder on about 30 out of the 40 rounds (see pictures).

I do not think I can shoot these rounds since most of them would not chamber (I am shooting a Savage 223 bolt action). I have a bullet puller so I am planning on pulling the bullets to at least salvage those.

If I pull the bullets, can I salvage the brass by trying to resize them? If so, how would I safely remove the live primers? Or can I resize them with the live primer in the case if I remove the decapping pin on the resize die?

Some of the rounds (about 10 of them) look OK and when I measure the shoulder width they are around 0.354 to 0.358 which is wider than the case spec for 223 but in line with spent brass that I have (the ones that are obviously deformed are 0.361 and wider).

Would the ones that are 0.354 - 0.358 be safe to fire assuming they chamber? Or would the out of spec shoulder size increase pressures?

So to summarize:

1. If I remove the bullets and the primers, do you think the brass can be salvaged and resized? If so, how would I safely remove the live primers? Or can I resize them with the live primer in the case if I remove the decapping pin on the resize die?

2. Would the cartridges that look OK be safe to fire as long as they chamber in my bolt action rifle?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010254-2.jpg (69.9 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg P1010255-2.jpg (101.1 KB, 78 views)

Page generated in 0.05266 seconds with 9 queries