View Single Post
Old November 13, 2012, 12:04 PM   #11
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
Medium caliber recoil, questions in regards to posture
So I've been trying new things and trying to see what might be an effective way to try and manage the higher recoil that comes from the .308/7.62x51 rounds.

I'm short and relatively light weight at 5'2" 137lb, the recoil itself is not real bad in terms of what is felt, but I notice that I seem to have a hard time making rapid follow up shots in succession since I'm getting shoved and pushed around a lot. I'm using irons, and this affects my off hand shooting the most.

I've tried leaning more into the rifle but if I try leaning in any further, I may just fall over. I also try to keep a good firm grip on the rifle while making sure I have a good cheek weld and the stock glued to my shoulder. No post rigiamortis death grip here but just the basics.

Is there anything else I can do to try and compensate for this in terms of posture and technique or is it down to mechanics at this point and an investment in a muzzle break/compensator might be the next best course of action?
What gun are you shooting, competition or just practicing for hunting? I taught a WAC who was 5'6" and 125 lbs and her problem was tiny hands and weak grip. M14 was almost to big for her. I had her doing arm curls with 5 pound barbells, squeezing a rubber ball, speed walking a mile every other day and situps. I wasn't trying to build her up so much as make her think she was getting stronger and she came around a few months later to being a pretty good offhand slow fire shot.

If you know how to get your natural point of aim you are good, the leaning into the rifle is never good, better to pull the rifle back into your shoulder. You might just try releasing the forearm, putting your palm out flat and let the gun lay on your palm. The grip you are concerned with is the trigger hand holding the rifle in place. Old school method but then I am a dinosaur and its what I was taught by Alley Oop back in the day.

Being in fighting shape really helps, good wind, core strength and stamina will really help you. Same workout I used for boxing helped my shooting more than it did my fighting.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--

Page generated in 0.03408 seconds with 8 queries