View Single Post
Old August 11, 2009, 11:44 PM   #67
BillCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAlaska
Yeah, so much better to trust guys on the net who have never read a statute, written a charging dpocument, received copistis legal training, or gotten thier butts chewed out by a prosecutor or their Captain for a crap arrest.
I'd trust some folks on a few forums over some of the California cops when it comes to firearms law. I'm sure Alaskan laws are pretty straightforward compared to California, MA, or NJ. You might be able to trust that your LEOs will know the law -- or at least read ALL of the statute -- before arresting someone. Not always the case here.

Apparently the cops in a large central California town never heard of People v. Clark which defined what constitutes a loaded firearm. I just read where the PD claimed someone's gun was "loaded" because he had ammo inside the locked gunbox.

A couple of bay area residents have been arrested for "assault weapon" violations. One because the officer ignored the "centerfire rifle" element of the crime and seized his .22LR AR rifle as an "assault weapon".

Another was arrested because the magazine appeared to be detachable -- yet the officer, evidence-room officer and the PD's armorer couldn't figure out how to remove the magazine, so they pounded it out with a mallet. (Sound like a fixed magazine to you?). It cost him almost $10k to defend himself.

An officer at a central coast range arrested a patron for possesing an "assault pistol" - despite his Broomhandle Mauser being a C&R firearm and thus exempt from the laws. This was pointed out prior to his being transported to jail. Took him 37 days to get his pistol back.

Most cops in California couldn't tell an assault weapon from a frackin' BB gun.

Page generated in 0.03448 seconds with 8 queries