View Single Post
Old March 3, 2014, 06:25 PM   #11
spacemanspiff

Ok. Like I said, it might just be a matter of semantics regarding 'mentally disabled' or that an alcoholic is suffering an 'illness'. No need for us to debate that since thats not the crux of the subject matter here.

What is at topic is handling someone who is not in control of their actions, due to being under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol. Whether a police officer, or armed civilian, or security guard, yes drunks need to be handled with caution.

Once a situation becomes volatile, my belief is that passive and non-aggressive options are out the window. Basically, at that point, all negotiations to get the subject to comply have failed. And now that person poses a threat to either staff or other people. Calling police is not an option then. Even a 911 call for assistance can result in a long wait if there are other more important things for officers to deal with. Which might mean in my line of work, I might find myself going hands-on by myself to extract someone from the bar, or to take them to the ground if they have committed a crime we wish to have charges filed for (assault/vandalism). If the drunken subject is close enough for me to get my arms around their torso, they will go to the ground thanks to gravity. Once on the ground, controlling a limb is my goal until I get assistance. If there is no assistance, I can be patient and wait. Armbars are useful. So are crossfaces. "Where the head goes, the body will follow". If I have assistance, one of us per arm, works pretty well. A third person controls legs in a figure 4.

Page generated in 0.02436 seconds with 8 queries