View Single Post
Old May 17, 2005, 08:30 PM   #12
wayneinFL

I never carried an extinguisher myself until about 6 months ago. boss had me follow one of the other guys in a company van that had been sitting 8 months. We were going to get it serviced at firestone, 3-4 miles away. It was spewing black smoke all the way. we got to a stop light about a half- mile from the garage and some guy pulled up next to him at the light. He had his head out the window, waving his arms like a crazy man. I thought he was giving him heck for driving so slow- the van would only do about 20mph. Trav calls me on the phone and says "this guy says my van's on fire- what do you think I should do?" I look at the bumper- he's right- the plastic is dripping on the ground.

"the van's on fire what should I do?"

I'm thinkin' what the heck is he asking me for? I'm not in the burning deathtrap.

"I say go for it! We're almost there!"

he leaves the light and this thing goes off. flames four or five feet high. faster he goes the more flames. We stop at the next light, he shuts it off. flames die down a bit.

He gets out. Excitedly. He says "what should we do now?" I say, "hell, firestone's right across the street. I say make the turn, pull it into the lot and tell 'em 'it seems to be overheating'"

He says "F^@&!ng, have at it!" and throws the keys at me. I figure what the heck, I get in and turn the key. It cranks 9 or 10 rev.'s then PHWOOM! All I can see is black smoke and flames licking the doors coming in the windows. Got the the sudden feeling I was in a giant barbeque, and I was the main course. Mortal fear. I took the key out opened the door as casually as I could, stepped out and said "Well... I don't think it's gonna start."

Long story short, didn't make it to firestone. fire dept put it out. I was amazed at all the gear they were wearing. I mean, I was just in that thing with a tshirt and shorts. I called boss. he didn't believe me 'cause I was laughing. Then we showed up back to work smelling like burnt plastic.

Although a fire extinguisher wouldn't have put that out, I started carrying a little 5#bc. The next week I put out a car that had just caught fire. The owner seemed all freaked out about it- the way he was blowing on it and slapping at it with his jacket. He thanked me profusely. I was all proud of myself, even though it was an old dodge aries that should have burnt down in '86.

Now I keep a 20# extinguisher in the van. You never know. Besides, I work around batteries, etc. and there's always the potential for a fire.

BTW, I know there's fire-rescue and police on these forums. Easy on the lectures about the dangers of burning vehicles- sitting in the giant bar-b-q taught me more about fire than any of the lectures in high school ever did.

Page generated in 0.02706 seconds with 8 queries