View Single Post
Old September 14, 2010, 01:45 AM   #1
blkmoon
Registration in progress

Old Powder and Primers----Help!!!!

I just inhereted some primers and powder from my grandpa. The primers have a price tag from a store he shopped at in the 50's. It went out of business in the late 60's, so these primers have to be at least that old. He also gave me 10# of Hodgdons4895 that he told me one time he bought sometime in 68 or 69. I also have an un-opened 1# can of Hodgdons4831. The 4895 he put in a glass jug sometime in the early 70's. All of this stuff has been stored in a dry cool (60F of below) basement the whole time. The powder doesn't show any small granules of powder in the bottom. The powder doesn't smell exactly like new powder smells, but it smells similar. The un-opened can has no rust or deteroriation of the can at all. It still feels solid and you can hear the powder "swish" around if you shake it gently.

My question is this- Is any of this stuff still safe to use? I have asked everyone in town I can think to ask and I am getting opinions from use it to it's a bomb! Any help yall can give me would be awsome! Thanks Ed

Page generated in 0.02948 seconds with 8 queries