Thread: H&R Handi-Rifle
View Single Post
Old November 11, 2013, 01:54 AM   #3
FrankenMauser

Most of the weights listed for H&R's rifles are on the high side. They're using lighter (cheaper) wood for the stocks, and it can shave up to a pound off the listed weight. The synthetic stocks are lighter, as well. Adding the fact that the big bores have lighter barrels, just makes matters worse.

I have a 6.3 lb Handi-Rifle in .444 Marlin, that I've pushed to its limits. With a 437 gr bullet at just over 2,000 fps, it has more recoil energy and velocity than a .416 Rigby launching 350 gr bullets at 2,600 fps in a 12 lb rifle, or a .450 Nitro 3.25" with a 480 gr bullet at 2,150 fps in an 11 lb double rifle. Needless to say, the heavy loads are not for the faint of heart.

If you back that off to .500 S&W (rifle) territory, with a 500 gr bullet at 1,700 fps in a 6.3 lb rifle, it is still on-par with the .450 Nitro. It's a little better with a 350 gr bullet at 2,150 fps, but you still have double the recoil of the average .30-06.

Quote:
As for the gun holding up, even hot 500 S&W loads have slightly less pressure than most 30-06 loads, and H&R has been making those a long time.
If you dig through the various NEF/H&R forums on the internet, you'll find quite a few reports of the .500 S&W guns beating themselves to death. The locking lugs and receiver just can't take the abuse. My .444 Marlin will share the same fate, if I keep feeding it the heavy loads; but I make that decision with the knowledge that I'm causing premature failure.
The same needs to be done with a .500 S&W Handi-Rifle purchase - you need to understand, ahead of time, that its life expectancy will be shortened by a steady diet of full power loads (including factory ammo).

Personally... I wouldn't buy one as a 'range toy', unless most of the 'range fun' will be had while standing. Shooting the thing prone, or sitting, would not be very pleasant for more than 2-3 rounds.

Page generated in 0.03380 seconds with 8 queries