View Single Post
Old November 25, 2008, 08:25 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

deer hunting & fiber optic sights... ghost rings... combinations...

I'm handgun hunting with Thompson Contenders, & have normally used variable power scopes & 14" barrels... however reciently I began hunting on my wife's cousins property in the bluffs along the Mississippi river... lots of deer, & average shooting distances have closed up a lot... I used to plan on 75 - 100 yard shots ( when I was going "up north" ) but from what I saw this last year, most shots are going to be between 50ft & 50 yards...

I set up a 10" 30-30 barrel with a 2-7X Burris for my wife to use ( if she wanted ) this year, but she didn't end up going, & because of it's extreme accuracy, I decided to use it... I found the 10" barrel much handier than the 14" barrels I normally use, but between the close distances, the faster moving deer ( there is a lot of public hunting ground all around my wifes cousins, so quite a bit of pressure mean the deer were not just casulally walking around, & were skittish of any open areas ), & low light early & late shots, I was not happy with the scope at 2X...

... so I'm setting up a 10" barrel for warm 45 Colt loads, & ( even though they don't list sihts specifically for the Contenders ) I'm setting up that 10" barrel with a copulation of Williams parts netting me a .250" ghost ring adjustable rear sight with fiber optic dot on each side, & replacing the front sight with a Williams fire Sight front

anyone shoot any firearm with a similar set up ??? how would you rate it ??? I'm curious about what my group size will look like at 50 yards ( I'm hoping for at least "minute of deer" accuracy out to maybe 75 yards )... I understand the shorter sight radius will open up my group sizes with the gost ring... anyone use one on a longer barreled revolver ???

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; November 25, 2008 at 10:57 AM.

Page generated in 0.02620 seconds with 8 queries