View Single Post
Old June 7, 2012, 01:56 PM   #1
frumious

Bought a by-God uncoated steel cleaning rod today for my rifles

All,

So I have been shooting and reloading for rifles for a year or so now. .308, .45-70, and .22-250. I have learned a lot about copper fouling (especially with my two bottle-necked cartridges) and how to get rid of it. My regimen currently consists of "Fill bore with Wipe-Out or wet-patch with Boretech Eliminator, let sit a few hours or overnight, then dry patch and repeat until patches do not come out blue".

Well I don't really have a problem with the foam, but application of Boretech, Sweet's, whatever else needs to be put in with a patch - is made more difficult by the fact that many cleaning rods have a brass tip, and many jags and loops are made of brass. When you pull the rod back out, the brass parts contact the wet inner surface of the barrel and can artificially blue the dry patch later. Boretech has those "proof-positive" jags - and I have them - but Boretech's own cleaning rods have brass tips so the jag only solves part of the problem. Same with Tipton's carbon-fiber rods, which I own a few of.

So I've been applying the BTE with a long piece of picture-hanging wire. I thread the wire through the barrel, attach a patch, wet the patch, and pull it back through the barrel. This is sort of a PITA.

So today I went to the LGS and bought a regular old uncoated steel one-piece cleaning rod. Using it and a plastic loop I can apply BTE, Sweet's, etc and get accurate results on the blue test. Plus I can "short stroke" the wet patch back and forth while I am applying the solvent.

-cls

Last edited by frumious; June 7, 2012 at 02:38 PM.

Page generated in 0.02447 seconds with 8 queries