View Single Post
Old November 1, 2000, 01:05 PM   #13
BadMedicine

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by opusxx:
he had his head down and i put the bead right on top of his head. somewhere between the time i pulled the trigger and the shot hit him he lifted his head and i blew both front legs off at the knee's. [/quote]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> get ahead of your ethics and better judgment [/quote]

Here's my Question Opus**, You see a deer at about 70 yards. Nice buck, just standing there. It's light enough to shoot, what do you do?

OR you see a spike, at about 60 yards, head down, grazing, perfectly unaware that you're there, what do you do???

I'll tell you the answer, YOU SHOOT!!! In both your story and Patricks the deer was not moving. It was just standing there. That's the best shot you can ask for, inside of 100 and still. Do you not shoot because it MAY move???? Even you yourself said that the deer moved "sometime between when I pulled the trigger, and the shot hit him." So whjose fault is it?? Both you and partick excecuted the best possible shot under the circumstances, and thats all we can do. We can't go around passing up shots on the off chance it might "move" a little. Heck, I'll even shoot at moving deer. That deer is moving, tops, about 30mph, and your bullet is between 2500 and 4200 fps. Just be prepared.

My brothers first deer, a doe in idaho, Came out of a thicket about 70 yards ahead of us and started trotting up a hill. We tried whistling and she wouldn't stop, she started to run. At about 100 yards My brother kneeled down, aimed, POW, she cartwheeled, it hit her in the neck, while she was in the middle of a jump. know why he hit her in the neck? because she was running, and he thought he would have to lead her, but to his surprise, the second he tightened the trigger she was already dead.

We shouldn't critisize other peoples judgment on if they can make a clean kill. I botched a good kill on a cow elk. It made me sick and we tracked her for the remaining 2 days of the hint, but the shotwasn't leaving any blood, except when she would bed down, so she got away.

The point is, I know I screwed up, and patrick admitted it too, he don't need people pushing THEIR set of ethics down their throat. Wanna hear about night shooting? If I can see the animal, and get a bead on it, I'm gonna shoot it. We carry flashlights in our day packs, and will track it if we need too, and if we don't find it, we'll go track it in the morning, the sun WILL return, it has been for 10 millions years. Call me unethical, but I practice good shot placement, and try my best.

Page generated in 0.05212 seconds with 8 queries